United to Read is an annual event held in first grade classrooms in Horry County. In the past, we have recruited over 150 volunteers each year to read the same book to each class. Due to COVID-19, this year’s event will be held virtually. Horry County’s own “Hometown Heroes” will be prerecording themselves reading this year’s title “Big Al” by Andrew Clements. “Big Al” teaches readers that the true value of friendship is not based on what someone looks like, but what type of person – or fish – they are on the inside. Each first grade classroom, whether in school or online, can choose who they would like to read the book. United to Read is an event that raises awareness of the importance of early literacy and celebrates reading!
This year’s Hometown Hero readers include:
- WPDE News-15 Chief Meteorologist Ed Piotrowski
- Three-time United States Olympian Amber Campbell
- A Medieval Times’ Knight
- Splash from the Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Devante’ Jones from the Coastal Carolina Men’s Basketball Team
- Aja Blount from the Coastal Carolina Women’s Basketball Team
- Sergeant Jarrett Wallace from the Conway Fire Department
- Officer Sterling from the Myrtle Beach Police Department
- Bruce Refuse from Horry County Solid Waste Authority
- Gator 107.9 Morning Show Host Adam Dellinger
- WBTW News-13 Evening Anchor Nicole Boone
Check out our students participating in this year’s event!