Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
Save the Fee. File for Free.
In partnership with United Way of Greenville County, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) provides free income tax preparation assistance to individuals and families with a household income of $60,000 a year or less. Our team can help you obtain all eligible tax credits and deductions, especially the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Education Tax Credits, and Child Care tax deductions.
IRS-trained and certified volunteers serve 3 locations in Horry County to help participants receive all eligible tax credits and deductions. Clients arrive at their appointment to drop off completed intake forms, tax documents, and to provide all of the necessary documentation to the volunteer. A certified volunteer will review the return for accuracy, and the client will return the following week to pick up the completed tax return. A list of items to bring to your appointment is included below.
**Appointments for the 2024 Tax Season will open on January 15, 2024. Appointments can only be made by calling 211.**
VITA site locations, dates, and times
for the 2024 tax season:
Historic Myrtle Beach Colored School
900 Dunbar Street, Myrtle Beach, SC
1/30/2024 – 4/2/2024
The final pick-up date is 4/9/2024
|12:30 pm – 5 pm
801 Main Street, Conway, SC
1/27/2024 – 4/6/2024
The final pick-up date is 4/13/2024
|10 am – 2 pm
410 Surfside Drive, Surfside Beach, SC
1/29/2024 – 4/1/2024
The final pick-up date is 4/8/2024
|10 am – 2 pm
What to Bring to Your Appointment
Please bring the following documents to complete your tax return. Failure to bring all documents to your appointment may delay the completion of your tax return.
- Picture ID for individual and spouse.
- Original Social Security card for all persons to be listed on tax return or an ITIN card for those without Social Security card.
- Birth dates of all persons listed on tax return.
- All wage and earnings statements, for example: W-2 Form, Social Security Income (SSI), Pensions, Annuities, Unemployment Compensation, etc.
- Any interest and dividend statements (any Form 1099s).
- Copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns (if available).
- Child care provider’s Name, Federal ID or Social Security Number, and address. Also, provide the amount paid for child care.
- If you are itemizing your deductions, please bring a summary listing of your deductions and supporting details/receipts.
- If you are taking college courses to further your education for a job, and you paid the tuition, please bring the tuition receipt and any financial aid or student loan statements.
- If you want to have your refund deposited into your checking or savings account, bring your account details (a check assigned to the specific account).
- Forms 1095-A, Health Insurance Statement, if you had coverage through the Marketplace or HealthCare.gov.
- Intake and Quality Review Sheet
- Intake Questions – Conway and Myrtle Beach
- Intake Questions – Surfside Only
The VITA Program is made possible through a partnership with United Way of Greenville County and the IRS.
Tax Preparation Resources:
United Way’s MyFreeTaxes is the only free, national, online tax filing program offered by a nonprofit. It is free for federal and state returns, optimized for all devices (desktop, tablet, or mobile), and easy to use — most filers complete their taxes in less than an hour.
MyFreeTaxes is available to those with a household income of less than $73,000 yearly. If you need support, you can contact their helpline at (866) 698-9435 or visit myfreetaxes.com/support.
MyFreeTaxes is also now available in Spanish at myfreetaxes.com/es.
If you live in South Carolina and have an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $73,000 or less, you may qualify to submit your state and federal taxes with SC Thrive. SC Thrive will begin it’s filing on Monday, January 30, 2023. Learn more and sign-up: https://scthrive.org/file-your-taxes/
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides free tax preparation in different ways – in-person, low-contact, or contact-free – depending on what service is available in your area. Some sites can provide service in one or two visits, or you may not need to visit a site at all, with all interactions taking place online. Find locations, dates, service types, and more: taxaide.aarpfoundation.org
Become a Certified VITA/TCE Volunteer
United Way needs your help to make the VITA program be successful. Please consider becoming a VITA or TCE volunteer! It’s a rewarding way to give back to your community.
For more details and to submit your contact information, use the VITA/TCE Volunteer Sign Up. Your information will be forwarded to the sponsoring partners in your area for further contact.